Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Our Successes July 7th

Brenda
This is the fifth internship job site I’ve been to. I felt like I was lost and going in circles, stuck in one place. My first day here at the Literacy Action Center was good. Now that I’ve met Deb, my supervisor, I am working towards a goal. She asked me what my skills were. I’ve told her that I wanted to become certified in CNA, but I didn’t have the time to do so. Now Deb gives me two hours or more here to study. I’m four chapters into the nursing book. I feel confident about taking my test, when I am ready.

Zulfiqar
On June 3rd, when I started at Literacy Action Center I could not read or spell. Since I started I have taken and passed 15 spelling tests. It makes me happy that I am learning a lot.

Venessa
I now remember more grammar from the teachings at the Literacy Action Center. Now I will be able to help my son when he has questions about his homework

Sophie
This past week, I learned about putting together and setting up shelves at Michael’s Art & Crafts. Working like a carpenter is fun, very interesting and educating for me. I would not mind doing some more in the future.

Amanda
When I first started learning how to read, I could not even read the word “the.” Now I’m at a sixth grade reading level, thanks to my dad.

At the Literacy Action Center I’m getting better at counting change back to customers. I feel more confident now than when I first started.

Jordan
I have learned how to do addition, subtraction, and I am also learning about grammar. I think this place is a good place to learn.

Victor
Last November I took the TABE test, at the community College. I didn’t do very well. My scores were low. I’ve been coming to Literacy Action most of the year. My reading, spelling, and math have improved a lot. This week I went to the college and took the test again and passed with real improvement. My reading score has almost tripled, and all of my other scores went up too. I owe all my improvements to the teachers at Literacy Action.

Nicole
When I came to Literacy Action Center I would read to my daughter on occasion, but it wasn’t an everyday thing. I figured that since I was a good reader my daughter would be too. I figured it wasn’t something I needed to worry about. After coming to L.A.C. I realize that I need to help her to become a good reader, and that it just doesn’t happen on its own. I’ve watched the struggles of the learners as they learn to read. I’ve realized that illiteracy can happen to anyone. Now I have started reading children’s books with my daughter each night. We have read “Winnie the Pooh” (The Hero’s Party) and the “Disney Bedtime Stories” series. We have also read some of the “Disney Princess Stories.” Tonight we are going to start another set of “Disney Stories” involving Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.

Katrina
I had a math test and I was at a 2nd grade level. Now I am on fractions. I’m not too good with them so I’m not very excited to do them, but I will.

Irma
I did my testing last week and scored high on my reading. That made me feel better about myself. The only thing I need to work on now is my math.

Julie

This week I found out that I have 7 complete successes up on the board at school. The seven successes are all books that I have read.

Angela
When I first started I was at a second grade level. This past week I took a test and found out I am at a fifth grade level. I’m grateful for my success.

Terry
I was not too good at times tables when I first started. I am now good at division. I would like to thank Deb and the volunteers for schooling me and helping me read and write better.

David

I finally finished math at a tenth grade level. I had forgotten almost all of it when I graduated on March 5th of 2010. I haven’t used math for three years. I met with a counselor named Flavia Cervino, she said that she could put me into a program that would help me with my math. IT is now my second week here. I have already regained and remembered how to do a lot of math. I am constantly remembering the math that I thought I had forgotten. When I am done with this program I hope to go to college and become a welder.

Margie
I just finished my 3rd quarter of college. I turned my finals in on Sunday just in time. I do not know how I did yet but should know soon. I started my new classes on Monday. I am now in Science class and Accounting math. I am not really worried about my accounting class but I am about my science one. I will keep you updated on how I am doing in my new classes.

Jake Lynn Frandsen
I have gotten better with my reading and math.
Before I came here I could not read well, and now I can read better with all the help from everyone here. My mom has seen a big difference with my reading, so she wants me to keep coming.

I can do my addition and subtraction better, and I feel more confident using my math skills outside of school. I used to use a calculator but now I can do math in my head.

I have gotten better working on cars with all the help from my dad and friends. Working on cars helps me relief stress, therefore it helps to relax me.

Nathan D.H.
I’m thanking you, Deborah Young, and all the others who have helped me become a better reader and writer! All of you have been a very big support to me, and I can only imagine all of the support you have given others. Just about a month ago I couldn’t spell big words. Just a month ago, I was in grade level three and now I’m working my way to fourth grade. I am 35 years old. When I was growing up, I didn’t do too well in school. I seemed to feel very uncomfortable towards myself, believing I couldn’t learn, although there is no such thing as I can’t. I have a lot of things I want in life. I want to open more than one business at once and I can do it because I’ve already done it. What has been holding me back is a G.E.D. or high school diploma. I hope others will be comfortable enough to give Literacy Action Center a chance, because I believe in you just like I believe in myself. With the help I’m receiving, it’s going to help me succeed in all of my goals in my life. I know it will. Again, thank you, Literacy Action Center.

Cody
Before I came to Literacy Action Center I couldn’t do subtraction. Now I can. I have done better. I can count now without using poker chips. Darlene, my tutor, helps me with math and reading. She said I do well at counting and do well at math. I am currently on a new book. I love the Literacy Action Center. I am learning great new things now. I do well at subtraction now. I am glad Darlene is my tutor and makes a special effort to help me.

Chris B.
On Saturday, I barbequed for my friends and family. I had fun. I’m writing a song for my friends. I am doing better at math and reading. When I started here I could only do addition and now I can do multiplication. I practice reading as often as I can. I am getting better.


Jessica S.
It’s been about six months since I came to Literacy Action Center. I have learned a lot since coming here. I am doing better at subtraction.

Casey
I know how to subtract, add and doing it sucks! I want to move on with math so I can be better with math. I want to read better. I want to learn how to spell better. I want to learn how to save money.

Ellen
Before I came to Literacy Action Center I couldn’t read, write, or do math. Now I am doing really good with math. The type of math I’m doing is division and multiplication. The type of reading I am doing is fiction. I’m reading the Twilight series. They were hard for me at the beginning and now they are getting a lot easier for me to read. I’ve accomplished so many things over the last 3 years. I took tests last week that compared me to where I was last year and I have improved on math and reading. I still have a difficult time working on story problems. I want to say “thank you” to all the teachers and volunteers at L.A.C. for helping me understand how to read, write and do math. In closing, I want to say that I’m reading chapter books and I understand the books. I also understand my math, reading, writing and spelling.

No comments: