Wednesday, October 6, 2010

September 24 entries

Darren
I have started writing a story. I wrote two poems. With the help of Deb and Ashley I’m starting algebra. I joined Ashley’s book club. I’m reading Ford County by John Grisham.

Mychele
I have been reading a book called Alice in Wonderland. It is a very interesting book. My son comes in and I read a few pages to him he enjoys it.

Scott
I completed the Tutor Training on Saturday and received my certificate. It was satisfying to attend and learn so much. I became aware of the amount of adults that need help to read, write and do math.

Lisette
I have learned, or rather began, practicing my pronunciation. While helping a student with spelling, by sounding out the words, my awareness of each letters individual sound has helped me be more aware of my speech and trying to slow down when I talk. I have also learned or been reminded that density is not weight. An object that floats is denser than water.

Sarah
I’ve learned that salt doesn’t change the density of the things we put in the salt water. I’ve learned that I need to work on my spelling. You know who you’re friends are, when they are willing to help you when your down, even if it is just to talk to you when you need them.

Nathan
This week I have been working on my times tables and I have learned a little, because math has not been easy for me. I have a hard time internalizing. It’s like my brain is tired and has a hard time holding numbers. I have been working on writing my own stories, in hope that some day more people will enjoy my imagination.

Erik
What I have learned about is cockroaches and giant squids. There are different kinds of cockroaches in America. The giant squids can grow up to 60 feet long and can weigh up to 800 pounds or more. It’s eyes can grow up to ten inches across. The giant squid has a big head it can grow up to three feet long.

David
I’ve learned more about the inadequacies of education. Schools seem more concerned with test scores and graduation rates than the actual educating of students. They solve this by kicking out students that test poorly and passing students that never learned the material.

Ashley
Well, I have been going to college for five weeks now. My homework load has been huge. I feel like I never stop studying. This last Tuesday I took a test in my biology 1010 class. I feel really good about it. I have to write a 12 page research paper for my history 1700 class. Our topic is the Gilded Age, and I am really nervous. I’m going to spend my weekend studying like crazy.

Catina
This week I learned that people learn at all different paces. This doesn’t mean that one person is smarter then the other. This means that they catch on to things quicker. Some people’s brains process information faster than others. I’ve learned that people are more knowledgeable in certain subjects, but no person is smarter then anyone else. All people make mistakes, get things wrong, and say things that they are unsure of. I’ve learned a lot about human nature.

Olivia
This week I have learned or refreshed my memory on how to do percentages. I am almost done with my math packet.

Julie L
I am testing out of addition. When I do so, I will go on to multiplication. I have to do bigger numbers to test totally out of addition, so I can go on to multiplication.

Ellen
I finished two of my tutoring goals. One was I finished my story problems math book. The last one is I got 100% on my doable digit division worksheet. This made me feel very proud of myself.

Casey
I am learning how to borrow in subtraction. Also how to keep my word when I say I will show up and don’t. In science I learned that eggs, oranges, apples and plastic bears float, and raisins don’t.

Sophia
Today it was interesting learning about density. We experimented with water and salt water to see if raisins, oranges, apples, eggs, and a plastic teddy bear would float. Everything did float except the raisins. The eggs floated higher when we added more salt.

No comments: