Friday, April 23, 2010

“My Gift” By Nicole

My sister Annie is twenty-six years old and is mentally challenged. On an average day she has the mentality of about an eight year old. She has a hard time finding books that she can understand and still enjoy. I walked into the house the other day to find Annie sitting with my daughter reading a story out of the Disney collection. As I listened to her stumble over the words, I had to remind myself to give her a chance to get the word right. I was so proud of her when she took the time to slow down and sound out the word to get it right.

Coming to Literacy Action Center has taught me patience because I am always so quick to correct everyone. But now since I slow down and give people a chance to do it themselves, I have received the greatest gift of all--to listen to my sister read aloud.

No comments: